Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Money can't buy happiness

Lots of people say it, and it gets repeated to me every now and again that money can't buy happiness.  This is my new set of wheels, 333 horsepower, 255 ft lbs of torque, capable of 155 mph(but it supposedly is limited to 130 but I don't think I'll ever find out) and it is a convertible.  Does it make me happy? It places a huge smile on my face when I'm driving.   I feel happy when I'm driving.  I don't seem to think about much else when I'm driving.   Does it may be happy?  The philosophical question is, What is happiness?

Mentally, I'm in on a low this week.   Multiple things seem to be causing this, and the other night I really missed Mary.  I wanted her to see what I was doing, and approve of it.  Sunday, when I went for a drive in 50 degree weather with the top down, I was smiling and enjoying myself and I believed I was happy.  Later in the evening I was back to an emotional low.  Up and down and up and down.   The car makes me smile.

Did it buy me happiness, yes, but it wasn't permanent happiness.  I've gained control of my emotions for the most part.  There are still times when I tear up or cry, but they are fewer and fewer.  As I continue to reorganize our home I come across things that make me smile and evoke great memories.  I'm mentally filing them away for future rainy days.

Money won't buy me happiness, but being poor won't make me permanently happy either.  For now I'll accept that happiness is a moment to moment feeling that may someday be permanent regardless of how much or how little money I spend.  In the mean time, I'll continue to try and buy happiness, it's my money, I'm not in debt, I am low on happiness.  Next stop?  A trip to warmer climate for a week.  Where should I go?    

No comments: