Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Forty-Five

Yesterday would have been a 45th wedding anniversary.  Just a week ago I was at Arlington National Cemetery paying my respects to Mary on her birthdate.
Yesterday was Monday so it was a shooting night and I went and competed with .22 and .45 at the NRA range with 30 or so of my friends who are just as offset.  I shot very well, for me.

I got home and I was a little bit off.   Marsha (my girlfriend) had dinner and a beer ready for me even though it was pretty late.  It is a new routine for me and I enjoy it.  I don't know why I was pondering my past and my future, but it was one of those nights.  Several of my friends have picked up and moved to other states, and sometimes I think I should do that too.  But I'm here for now.

This morning was a banner day.  The Veterans Administration has done such a poor job with my urological issue I petitioned for a civilian referral.  I got it.  What a great appointment.   Usually I show up to the VA at least 45 min ahead of my appointment and I get seen 45 min after my appointment.  I always have to fill out a ton of paperwork and then the doctor always ask me the same questions that are on the sheet.  Then I get a song and dance about broken equipment so I have to go to radiology for a sonogram.  Then when I go to the sonogram schedule they tell me the earliest appointment is 3 weeks away, then my follow-up is 3 weeks after that then the VA doctor (and I use that term loosely) tells me to do it again.   It is not an easy drive to get down to DC to the VA hospital and then there is a parking issue and waits and so on and so on.   Last week the new civilian doctor's office sent me a note to fill out the paperwork online.  I did.  Then I showed up 1/2 hour early and they weren't open.  I showed up 15 min early, checked in and 10 min before my appointment the technician took be to the doctors office, reviewed the stuff I submitted, and then had me do a golden flow and by the time I was back in the room I'm still 4 min before I'm schedule to be with the Doctor, he walks in and introduces himself.   We had a great discussion, he talked about the episode and gave me a general assessment.   He has great humor, he said before he finished we'd have to consummate the relationship, bend over.   I guess he told me what I wanted to hear, and it made me very happy.  He established a timeline for things to watch for and things to do then he asked if we could do a blood test.  Done.   I did not feel rushed, it was one of the better Doctor visits I've hand.

When I left I was in great spirits and headed to Bob and Edith's for breakfast.  A great little restaurant that is open 24 hours a day and only serves breakfast.  A breakfast that can include Country Fried steak, pork chops, etc.  And as I sat eating breakfast I felt that all was right with the world.  A great feeling.  http://www.bobandedithsdiner.com  

Don't know why today is different.   The lawn still needed mowing, the stump needed to be drilled, I had guns to clean and it was all very enjoyable.  

Next will be dinner, I'm cooking Salmon and pork chops.   I don't like fish but Marsha does so I'll gladly cook it up.   I'll include Asparagus tonight and probably a salad.   Still debating which wine, I'm partial to Cote De Rhone and Marsha prefers Pinot Noir.   Hmmm maybe wine for Marsha a beer for me.   Beer seems to go with everything.  

Everything I had to do and I still had time to sit on the back porch, enjoy a good cigar and a cold beer. It is a good day today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Celebrations are important.