Monday, August 4, 2008

Movies my Dad liked and would watch multiple times

A long long time ago there was a drive-in theater in Beloit, the Fiesta Drive-In (I wonder if the Main Street Theater is still there/open). Once in a while Mom and Dad would take the herd to see a movie. I remember playing on the playground beneath the screen, laying on a blanket in front of the car parking space, and eating popcorn that we had popped that afternoon. I can't remember any of the movies that we watched.

A long time ago (1984), my parents were visiting my wife, son and I. To give my wife a break, I decided to take my parents to see a movie - just released "Ghostbusters". I was proud about the fact I could: 1) afford to take my parents, 2) caring enough to give my wife a break(here I'm taking way more credit than I deserve - more than likely we were chased out), 3) smart enough to find a movie I believed my parents would like. On the ride home my mom said it was okay (she didn't like it) and my Dad said he hated Bill Murray (I extrapolated that to mean he didn't like the movie).

Years later, during a discussion with my dad, I found out his favorite movie. I figured out it was his favorite because when I got him on the phone he said he was in the middle of watching his favorite movie. So your mission is to figure out his favorite movie. It was released in 1964. It starred Michael Caine, James Booth and Nigel Greene. Nigel Greene does an outstanding performance as Colour Sgt. Frank Bourne. I have this movie, I like it, but not enough to go on my list.

My Dad doesn't have a dog. There is a dog. Probably, maybe, belongs to some member of his family such as a son, grandson, daughter-in-law, etc. He doesn't know. It isn't important to him either. He doesn't know the dog's name (Angel) and can't remember the dog's name. It isn't important in his relationship with the dog. The dog visits him several times every day (the dog lives in his house) and when the dog visits, he takes the dog outside. The dog "does his business"(don't know if it is a him or her but the name indicates a her - Dad doesn't care what he is-it isn't important.). Then they look around the yard and then come back in the house. This past week the dog brought Dad a gift, a kitten. Dad said the dog just walked up and had a kitten in its mouth. Dad took the kitten out of the dog's mouth. He said he looked and the kitten was none the worse for wear, but the kitten was covered in slobber. Dad put the kitten back where it belonged and then told the dog he best leave those things alone. Dad likes the dog. Dad likes the cats.  My Dad doesn't have a cat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember the drive in. I saw ET there. Probably in 1984. Also, the Main Street Theater is closed; the only person who was running it ended up getting arrested for something I think, and then the proprietor, Carl, retired. He also sold his store to a few of middle aged ladies who have kept the soda fountain part but rehashed the gifts and sundries part. They still call it Carl's.