Monday, September 29, 2008

Translating by Google

A friend sent me a link to watch a video - the short film winner at Cannes 2008 http://en.zappinternet.com/video/nilSqaMboM/HISTORIA-DE-UN-LETRERO-THE-STORY-OF-A-SIGN . I started watching the video and there is a sign in the video that says "estoy siego". Being the ugly American that I am, I only speak,read, and write one language. So I hopped over to Google and fired up the translator. Input = estoy siego request translation from Spanish into English. Response= I'm Mowing. That made no sense to me. I watched the rest of the video and they put in some sub titles. Back to Google to resolve the mystery. Input = estoy ciego (which is different than what is written on the sign) - request translation from Spanish into English. Response = I'm Blind. So siego=mowing and ciego=blind. Who knew? Nice video. I don't think it was a winner, but it is nice. Why doesn't the guy in the nice suit leave money?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great short story. I really like how the writer/director imparted the importance of directed, well-written commentary into the plot: it's a key point to the denouement but one of the milder occurrences, relatively.

He didn't _need_ to leave money; hearken back to the "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" parable for clues. Also, think about human psychology for the most part uses charity as a self-pleasuring act rather than an altruistic, higher-purpose mission. By giving his time, talent, and commiseration(!), he donated something much more valuable than money. The businessman was a _real_ businessman, with ethics and morals and a sincerely entrepreneurial spirit.

Wrekreation said...

Nope, not buying it. He should teach the man how to fish (give him a job), or really support his begging by giving him money. It is half-stepping to help him with a new sign. It says I don't care enough to really help, I'm too cheap to donate, so I'll just show you how unimaginative you are.

Unknown said...

Hmm.

Well, as much as I agree that marketing is a half-assed step, I think the change in the sign was brilliant. It shows a change in perspective: a different way of looking at the same circumstances. Maybe the job isn't his to give, but he was able to share a gift and still make a positive impact on another's life. Sometimes help doesn't come in the form we're expecting.