Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pride

Today, the USAF made me proud.  The Arlington National Cemetery staff did an outstanding job organizing Mary's internment (There were 3 separate ceremonies beginning at 1100).  We were organized  and led to the transition point where Mary's casket was removed from the hearse by a sharp bunch of USAF Airmen (men and women) and placed on the Caisson.  Then the USAF Band struck up The USAF Hymn.  The Band, at a glance, had 30 members.  There was a color guard of 4, there was a ceremonial firing squad of 8, and squadron of 24 armed airmen.  They demonstrated all the professionalism and decorum appropriate and I can only hope that in all the years I worked much smaller ceremonies as a color guard, that I looked half as good and acted half as professional.  The NCOIC presented me with the flag and faithfully repeated the "On behalf the President, Sec Def, etc and a grateful nation...".  I honestly only heard the first four words.  When I thought I was almost done a young hostess from the Arlington Cemetery Family presented me a personal note from the Chief of Staff of the USAF, Mike Walsh and his wife Betty.  Even if it is proforma, it sincerely touched me that there is a process for remembering and recognizing.  Mary now lies in section 54, not far from the visitors center and as you stand by her grave you can see the USAF Memorial and if you turn a little you can see the Pentagon, then the Washington Monument.   Section 54 is very nice.  It is going to take another 4-5 months for the headstone to be made, delivered and installed.  When it is installed you'll be able to go online and look at it, or so they said.  Yes TAPS still makes me cry - have you ever heard the unofficial words?  Day is done, gone the sun, From the hills, from the lake, From the skies. All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.  Yes, the USAF made be proud to have been a member and served. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad it was beautiful. --G