Thursday, July 24, 2008

Philosophy

My dad was a great philosopher. He doesn't remember how great he was, I guess that's my job. One of my first lessons in philosophy involved a washing machine. Many of my lessons involved fixing and building things for other folks. After all, in the Midwest my parents needed additional income to support four boys and one girl, all about 1 year apart in age. That's a fair amount of food. But I digress. I'm helping dad fix a washing machine and he sends me to find some tool of mass destruction. Probably a left-handed monkey wrench (Dad had a sense of humor). Anyway after an enternity of searching - time was measured the number of times dad said, "Haven't you found that damn thing yet!", I found the tool and proudly carried it to my dad, laying on the floor, dripping in sweat and waste water. I then proclaimed, "It was in the last place I looked!", and dad responded, "I'm glad you stopped looking when you found it". The philosophy lesson here is that you should stop looking when you find things. That could be a significant other, lunch, a magazine, etc. Know when to stop looking

2 comments:

Unknown said...

T and I go rounds on the difference between "Good enough" and "A job worth doing is worth doing well." I think there's a time and a place for both.

Wrekreation said...

Yep, If I have the time and weather then a job worth doing.... If the beer is cold and I'm tired,Good enough