Monday, July 28, 2008

Hiding in plain site

During June I went to Curacao to go Scuba diving. (I guess for Miss Red Pen I should spell it S.C.U.B.A.) I came back with about 4 hours of video recordings which I trimmed to about 40 minutes, made a DVD and then gave a copy to each of the trip participants.

So, I stayed at the Sunset Waters resort and went diving with Sunset Divers. On one of my dives at the "house reef" I found a Peacock Flounder. The good news is I thought to turn on the camera, the bad news is I had prepped the camera for depths beyond 30 feet and this was in about 15 feet of water. Watch closely near the end of the video to see how the peacock flounder changes color to hide from predators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1dJcHinEo

Preparing a camera for beyond 30 feet of depth involves putting a red lens on the front of the camera. Since this lens is external to the camera I have to get all the bubbles off it, clear the smears etc. Then you get a red tinted picture until you get to about 30 feet, then the pictures look normal because at 30 feet the color red has been filtered out by the water, and put back in by the lens.

The camera I use isn't made anymore (Moore's law and that 18 month thing). The link below will give you a fairly good idea what my rig looks like, just think tape instead of disc.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/sony_dvd101.html

They are putting a new fire alarm system in the building, so for the past hour the whoop whoop, flash flash of the alarm continues to go while the fire marshals try to look in all the rooms and see if we will notice an alarm. Luckily I have permission to bring my IPOD into the facility. The earplugs are in, and the volume is up.

So what am I listening too: Podcast - Car Talk
Songs, etc - BOCA (Best Of College Acapella), Carole King, ABBA, Sarah McLachlan, Lyle Lovett, Janie Frickie, Harry Nilsson, Emo Philips, Carbon Leaf, Imogen Heap, Dire Straits, Blue October, Starship, and more. Maybe next time I'll list the song names. Current Comedian of note -Tim Wilson.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I gave up red pens for Lent.

When's Lent again?

Wrekreation said...

Lent is what happens after someone lends you a red pen.

Unknown said...

/me smacks forehead